Updating DEERS Information

It is important that DEERS records get updated when personal eligibility
information changes. This includes changes in military career status;
addresses; and family status (marriage, divorce, birth, and adoption) etc. For
basic information on eligibility, review the Eligibility Fact Sheet at
A to Z and Eligibility Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) at

Visit the TRICARE SMART Site at http://www.tricare.osd.mil/smart/ to download
DEERS posters and flyers.

Beneficiaries may update their DEERS address, telephone number, and e-mail in
several ways:

   Visit the DEERS Web site at https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/address/index.jsp - this is the quick and easy way to update your information. The best time to update is during non-peak hours!

   Visit a local personnel office that has a uniformed services ID card
facility. To locate the nearest ID card facility, visit www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/ .
Call ahead for hours of operation and for instructions if you are updating a
record for someone who is housebound.

   Fax address changes to 1-831-655-8317.

   Call the DSO Telephone Center at 1-800-538-9552 or for the Deaf
(TTY/TDD): 1-866-363-2883. Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to
3:30 p.m. (Pacific time), except Federal holidays.

   Mail the changed information to the DSO, ATTN: COA, 400 Gigling Road,
Seaside, California 93955-6771.

Updating Information other than Addresses - Beneficiaries will need to provide
important pieces of documentation, such as marriage, birth, or death
certificates; DD 214s; DD 1172s; etc. Beneficiaries should contact the nearest
military ID card facility to find out what documents they need to enroll or
update eligibility information in DEERS. Once beneficiaries have the necessary
documents, they can present them at the ID card facility or send a letter or
fax to the DSO at the address and number noted above.

Note: Effective October 1, 2003, URFSs will be listed in DEERS under their own
Social Security numbers (SSNs), not their sponsors' SSNs. For more information,
go to the Unremarried Former Spouse FAQs

SOURCE:  TRICARE Web Site at http://www.tricare.osd.mil/deers/default.cfm